Sunday, June 7, 2009

Start of summer


Kona race pics came in few days ago... here, inhaling some Gu coming back from the Hawi aid station along the Pacific coastline.

Rode my Roubaix road bike up Lookout Mtn yesterday and that became an ordeal. Near the top, my rear tire pretty much exploded... something I've never had happen. I heard the rear tire suddenly making a rubbing sound and within a couple of seconds, it blew - sounding like a gunshot. It caught the attention of several other cyclists making the 2,000 foot climb that were in the area. The tire was completely shredded. That was all for the day and a trip to the bike shop was in store for the afternoon. It could have been worse, I was 80% of the way up the climb and had it happened on the way down the mountain at 40-45MPH, that could have been problematic.

Got out this morning to catch my Triabuddy, Parker Gregston, play a soccer match. Parker is a 12-year old from the Denver area who has a pretty good handle on managing his diabetes. He also has Celiac disease and I have a ton to learn from him - he's a terrific young man. He, his family and I are trying to find a 5K on the calendar this summer to run. As part of the Triabuddies program, he will participate in some exciting opportunities. Each of the Triabuddies will venture out to the Channel Islands this November the week before the Ironman and will set sail off the coast of Santa Barbara for a multiday outdoor adventure with guides and Insulindependence staff. They'll arrive in Tempe the day before Ironman and we'll all get the opportunity to meet up, celebrate the year's accomplishments and prepare for raceday on Nov 22. A few hundred yards from the finish line, I'll pick up Parker along the ropes and we'll cross the finish line together - should be an awesome experience! I think if it were up to Parker, he might want to join me for the last few miles - I wouldn't want to slow him up... lol. Parker is helping raising money for the Triabetes program and I encourage anyone to visit his fundraising site (First Giving). Having had the opportunity to speak with a few of the 2008 Triabuddy families over the course of the last six months, I can speak firsthand of the positive impact this program is having on families' lives.

It's great to be back in the drier air, Kona was so humid. Had some rough weather this afternoon in Denver, but it's set the stage for a nice cool evening. Plan to swim the next several mornings as I'll be forced out of the water for 3 weeks following my Wednesday PRK laser eye correction surgery. It's going to be different to lose the glasses I've had for 20+ years, but looking forward to being able to see on my own again - transition stations will be so much easier not worrying about finding the prescription shades.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting that my Triabuddy also has Celaic's disease. They will certainly have things to talk about during their trip.

Sean said...

I hear there are 3 or 4 with it. Should be a great group!

Hua said...

Hi Sean!

Sounded like you had an amazing race and time in Hawaii.

Thank you for being an active voice in the triathlon community. I am the Director of Blogger Relations at Wellsphere and I believe that you would be a valued resource in our HealthBlogger Network, which currently has over 2,600 of the best health writers on the web.

After reviewing your blog, I see that you meet our standards joining, so I'd like to invite you to participate as a Top Health Blogger. As a Top Health Blogger, you would republish your writing on the Wellsphere platform (now with over 6 million visits a month), and yet you retain ownership and all rights to the control of your content.

If this opportunity interests you, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Have a wonderful day,

Best,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks