Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patty's Day


Happy St. Patrick's Day! For an Irish Catholic kid, this always ranks near the top of my favorite annual holidays. Found out over the weekend that my high school, the Fighting Irish of Cathedral, now get this as a school holiday... my, how times have changed. Enjoy the day and keep it a safe one.

After a full weekend of training, I've been fighting off a bug for the past 12 or so hours. A bit of a scratchy throat had me cancel last night's run to make sure I didn't make matters worse, but feeling better this morning. Got in a good 10-mile run on Saturday and felt really good afterwards, which was very encouraging. That gave me the confidence that the shoes have corrected my pronation issue. No flare-up's of knee, so I'm crossing my fingers that all that continues. I'll know more this weekend after I complete the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab. Weather looks to be great for the coming weekend out in the high desert (low to mid-70's) and very much looking forward to see how I hold up.

I swam Saturday and Sunday and the swim stroke is beginning to take shape. I'm getting in better distances without the effort of a month ago. Contacted a local coach who teaches the total immersion technique and will be following up on that in the coming days. On Sunday, I got in a two hour ride and was pleased to keep a pace of around 18 miles/hour for the two hour ride. I hear that once we get the new Kestrel's, the aerobars may add a couple of miles an hour to the ride. If that's the case, I'd like to shoot to break six hours on the cycling leg in November. Don't know if that is overly optimistic or not, but time will tell. I'd love to finish the IMAZ in under 12 hours, but that may be biting off more than I can chew... again, training will help determine whether that'll work.

Because of a noticeable difference in insulin sensitivities as training ramps up, I reduced basal rates on Sunday night (from 0.8 units per hour to 0.7 units per hour to start with). Over the first two days, it seems to be working better. I'll have to tweak it a little more, but my BG's don't seem to be dropping constantly like they had before. I had gotten so used to just popping carbs constantly without bolusing that I'm needing to break that habit once again... a good thing. It'll all come together.

For those heading out this afternoon/evening, enjoy a Guinness for me this evening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's great to hear your training is coming along so well Sean.

denise said...

Isn't it cold in Colorado?? I still have not put my bike back together:)
Good luck at your race this weekend!