Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brrrr!

What a difference a day makes. Enjoyed a training run in shorts and t-shirt yesterday afternoon as we reached the 60's. This morning, John Moore and I got in a 5-mile run in temps near zero. Still was a great day to be out and getting in some training. I'm battling some soreness under my knees in the 24 hours following runs and have consequently not been getting in quite as much running as I'd like. A few have suggested it may be I-T Band Syndrome, but a few others who are familiar with these sorts of injuries are leaning against that. If it continues, may be time to talk to the doc.

Training schedule picked up a few additions this week. I was pleased to receive my confirmation today for the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab in March... made it through the lottery! It's a beautiful run through canyon country on the Colorado River into Moab. Both of my sisters have run it on multiple occasions. I'm also psyched to be heading to the Avia Wildflower Tri (Long Course) in May near the central California coast. I've read only great things about it... from what I can tell and what I've heard, it's near nothing but brings in 30K spectators. Nearest hotels are about 45 minutes away, so we'll be camping out with the competitors for that one. Should be a blast with a few other Triabetes teammates. They call it the Woodstock of tri's, so should provide some great preparation and entertainment. Supposed to be a pretty rough course with quite a few hills, so look forward to getting in a good test for the Honu Half Ironman, which will be four weeks later in Kona. On Jan 3, it looks like I'm going to enter the Turquoise Lake 20 mile snowshoe run up in Leadville. The time limit on that is 7 hours, so stay tuned in early January for results :) Of course, also looking forward to the Carlsbad Half Marathon in San Diego in late January as well.

Another trial balloon I've sent out is to get the Medtronic CGM. Spoke to the rep last week and awaiting a call back once they get doctor's approval, check w/insurance, etc. I tested one out for several days in September at the DTC I attended and think it will be incredibly beneficial for training and races. The precision on them struggles from time to time, but the trends they show were really valuable as I cycled or ran. It allowed me to treat hypo's and hyper's before they became real issues.

All for now,
Sean

No comments: