Monday, December 1, 2008

Kick-off

It's hard to believe I'm blogging as I've never really followed a blog, but let's "play ball!"  

Three months ago, I would not have envisioned myself setting up a blog.  Three months ago, I toyed with the idea of entering a triathlon, but certainly not an Ironman.  Where did this process begin?  I would say it dates back to a hot summer day this past July or August.  Early on a weekend morning, I waited outside the REI on the Platte River trail in Denver for the rest of my training group to arrive for our JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes weekly ride.  It would again take place in scenic Whitefish, MT this year.  As I waited for a few familiar faces, a guy rides up, notices my JDRF jersey and asks if I'm Steve, who happens to be our JDRF ride coach.  It's not unusual to see a new face, so I introduce myself to John Moore.  John tells me he's recently moved to Denver following completion of an MBA and we get to talking.  Through the course of our morning ride of 50-60 miles, John tells me his story of life with diabetes and how he'll be competing in the Ironman Wisconsin with a team that calls themselves Triabetes ( a pretty amazing feat from the sounds of it).  When John tells me he got his MBA from App State, my eyes immediately light up and I tell him I'm happy that his school shocked the world by beating Michigan in football last year.  John immediately tells me about his roots to Ohio State and how can two Buckeyes not bond.  John and I begin to discuss Diabetes Training Camp at one point which was a couple of months away at that point for me and he goes on to explain that his wife will be working the camp.  I'll expand on DTC later, but it was such a confirmation for the exact reason that I packed up my belongings 11 years ago and moved out West.  An active lifestyle was essential to maintaining a quality of life that I desired to manage my diabetes. At the end of the ride, John and I agree that we'll connect at DTC up in Snowmass once he has completed the Ironman Wisconsin.  

Upon returning home, I look up this Triabetes deal on the internet and track updates on it in the months that follow.  After a week of training in the scenic high altitude enclave of Snowmass at DTC, a light clicked on for me and I decided that Triabetes was something I could not pass up.  It was as simple as I woke up and while at breakfast on the last morning, that light bulb clicked on.  From that moment, I have been fortunate to receive a number of subtle confirmations that this was absolutely the right decision.  For the past few years, I've reflected on my own struggles managing diabetes and have come to realize that in many ways, I represent a new paradigm.  When I was diagnosed as a 15-year old in 1988, I was never aware of anyone out there 20+ years into living successfully with Type 1.  Sure, there were a few out there, but not many who were living complication free.  Technology and insulins have advanced to the point where there are more and more of us out there.  Each and everyone of us who walks this planet is obviously unique in our own way.  I was not blessed with any extraordinary abilities, but I recognize that I do many things above average.  Managing diabetes to me, is in many ways a balancing act.  Too much or too little of anything has never been good.  I think that translates into so much of who we Type 1's become as people.  As the years go by, that just seems to become more and more apparent in my eyes.  In recent years, I've searched for a way to encourage others to grab diabetes by the horns and beat it. Like so many others, it is my goal to leave this earth a better place than the one I inherited.  The Triabetes project is a perfect fit for so much of what I hope to make this world a better place.  I don't yet know exactly how I'm going to complete an Ironman with diabetes (I've cycled 112 miles, but never run even a 5K or swam 2.4 miles), but isn't that story of this cycle of life we all experience?  I look at the stories of John Moore, Dave Shack, Steve Ahn, Anne Findlay, Bill Carlson, Steve Chop, Larry Smith, Steve Parker, Joe Brady, Aaron Perry, Brian Foster and Peter Nerothin of the Triabetes 2008 team and am truly inspired by what they accomplished.  If I can do half of what they have done, a remarkable difference can be made in the lives of so many as we spread this message.  I am committed to continuing the selfless message that this team has started.  I truly believe this Triabetes project embodies a powerful message and will change the way diabetes is approached in so many positive ways.  

 

2 comments:

Ann said...

Sean, I absolutely love your attitude and am so excited to have you as a strong role model for Trevor. He will learn so much from you! -Ann

denise said...

Very inspirational, a nice message for the world!