Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekend


Snowshoed up in the mountains west of Denver on Saturday and the pic here is the result of 30 minutes of snowhoeing after reducing my basal rate to 55% of normal 45 minutes before we started and downing a ClifBar on the drive up to our starting point. John and I tested about the same time and we didn't reach a combined BS of 70. He tells me he and Steve Ahn couldn't reach a combined 60 during a training run last year, so that record still stands. Looking back, I usually like to reduce my basal rate 90 minutes before I start something so lesson learned for me! Found a good snowshoeing trek where snow was decent, but still a little thin for this point in the year. The mountains are getting dumped on tonight and tomorrow, so should have great snow the rest of the season. I fixed the low BS by downing a couple of bags of SportBeans (50 total carbs) and downed a sandwhich (45 carbs) a bit later. I overdid it a bit as my BS spiked up to 280 in the car heading home. After 2.0 units of bolus, the afternoon ran between 90-110. Planning to head up on Christmas morning with my siblings and their significant others... I'll make sure to reduce basals a little earlier.

I visited my opthamologist late last week for a LASIK eval to determine if that might be an option. When I was down in Arizona in November, Triabetic teammate Bill Carlson talked me into getting it done. Unfortunately, my cornea is too thin and LASIK is not an option. However, PRK (which is the original eye laser surgery) is available and I'm contemplating whether to pursue that. Recovery is a bit longer on it and vision is now always fully corrected in 24 hours like it is with LASIK, but it does have many Pro's to weigh. I'd have to be out of the water for 3 weeks (to avoid any infection) and debating on whether that is a good option with next year's schedule... something to research further and consider over the holidays.

I'm also pretty psyched about getting started on a CGMS. My insurance plan fortunately does cover it and while I likely wouldn't wear it full time, I plan to wear it periodically during training and during competitions. I tried one out up at the DTC in September and the trending on them was a real eye-opener. Maybe I can avoid those 31's :)

I sat thru the Broncos collapse yesterday and think I've just thawed out in the past couple hours :) Boy, was it cold! Go Broncos and Jay Cutler, beat the Chargers this Sunday!

Before I sign off, I want to wish all a Merry Christmas! Hope all have the opportunity to spend it with family and/or friends!

No comments: